Using a large Kabocha squash, this is a fast, healthy, easy and flavorful meal. If you don’t like crab, 2 small pre-cooked chicken breasts would be a good substitute or simply skip the meat protein and just add the beans. There are so many ways to customize this dish. Use your imagination.
The sweetness of the squash, the saltiness of the crab, and the hint of chili spice from the beans is an amazing combination.
It works so well as it comes together and teases all taste receptors on your tongue. Enjoy!
- 1 large kabocha squash
- 1 can (16 oz) Chili Beans in Mild Sauce â do not drain
- 1 tsp dried cilantro (or 1 TBS fresh)
- 16 oz crab meat *I used claw meat because itâs less expensive. Chicken would be even less expensive.
- 1/4 cup Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Place the squash in the microwave on high for 6 minutes. Remove and cut off the top and cut a hole so you can take some of the seeds out. Put back into the microwave for 6 more minutes.
- Remove the squash carefully and, still with great care because itâs hot, cut a large opening and remove the seeds. Remove some of the meat and set aside.
- You need to make a big âbowlâ out of the squash so you can fill with the beans and crab.
- Place the squash âbowlâ in an oven proof baking dish. Pour half of the beans into the hollowed squash.
- Add the cilantro and stir.
- Add half of the reserved squash meat on top of the beans and cilantro.
- Add all of the crab meat.
- Add the rest of the beans.
- Top with the last half of the squash meat you removed earlier.
- Put into the oven for 35 minutes. Remove and top with cheese.
- Put back into the oven for 5 â 10 more minutes.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 249g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 98||34%|
|Total Fat 11.16g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 5.03g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 15.43g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.6g||19%|