This is a refreshing and delicious salad. It's healthy and filling, so a good salad to serve with soup or another lighter dish. It's super quick if you use canned garbanzo beans, or save money by using dried chickpeas. This is a great side dish for when you are grilling.
- 2 15oz cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas) rinsed and drained, or 2 cups dried garbanzo beans soaked in water over night
- 6 roma tomatoes (or other good tomatoes) coarsely diced
- 4 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves (basil can substitute)
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 pita rounds
- In a large bowl combine beans, tomatoes, feta and mint.
- In a screw top jar, or other sealable container, combine vinegar, olive oil, 1 Tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Shake to combine. Pour over salad mixture and set aside.
- Grill pita bread on a grill over medium until warm and toasted. Or broil briefly on each side (no more than 1 minutes per side or it will burn). Transfer to a cutting board and cut into wedges.
- Serve salad with warm pita wedges for dipping.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 495g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 198||38%|
|Total Fat 22.54g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 6.44g||26%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 64.08g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 12.6g||42%|