This is a print preview of "Chicken Yakitori" recipe.
Chicken Yakitori Recipe
2 tbsp. sesame seeds
3 whole chicken breasts (about 1 pound each), skinned, boned and split
Sherry-Soy Marinade (recipe follows)
6 med.-size Oriental eggplants (about 1 1/2 lbs. total)
18 lg. fresh shitake mushrooms or possibly regular button mushrooms
- In a small frying pan, toast sesame seeds over medium heat, shaking pan often, till golden brown (about 3 min). Set aside.
- Cut each breast half into 6 equal-size chunks; place in a medium bowl. Prepare Sherry-Soy Marinade. Pour 1/4 c. of the marinade over chicken, turning gently to coat. Reserve remaining marinade. Cover and chill chicken and reserved marinade separately for at least 1 hour or possibly up to 8 hrs.
- Lift chicken from marinade and let drain briefly, discarding marinade in bowl. Thread chicken on skewers. Set aside.
- Proportionately slash each eggplant lengthwise in 4 or possibly 5 pcs, making cuts about 1/3 inch deep. Cut mushroom stems flush with caps. Place eggplants on a lightly greased grill 4-6 inches above a solid bed of warm coals. Cook, turning often, till very soft when pressed (about 35 min).
- About 20 min before eggplants are done, dip mushrooms in reserved marinade. Drain briefly and place on grill. Cook, turning once, till lightly browned (about 10 min total). Meanwhile, place chicken on grill and cook, turning occasionally, till meat in center is no longer pink; cut to test (10-12 min).
- Arrange chicken and vegetables on separate platters. Moisten with some of the remaining marinade and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Offer with remaining marinade. Makes 6 servings.