Cost per serving $1.66 view details
- 5 x Fresh red chilies, or possibly to taste
- 3 x Cloves garlic
- 5 piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 Tbsp. Rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 4 tsp Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Chicken stock
- 1 whl chicken, (3-to-4-lb.), fat removed
- 2 1/2 tsp Salt
- 5 x Scallions
- 1 piece ginger, (thumb-size) peeled and cut into six slices
- 8 c. Homemade chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. Sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 2 c. Thai fragrant rice, rinsed and liquid removed
- 3 x Cloves garlic, thinly sliced Sliced scallions for garnish
- 1. To make the chili-ginger sauce, combine the ingredients in a blender and pulse till smooth but not pureed. Set aside.
- 2. To make the chicken and rice, rub the chicken with the salt. Place the scallions and 2 pcs of the ginger in its cavity. Place the chicken in a kettle, add in the stock and bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, skimming off any foam, till the chicken is cooked through, 40 to 45 min. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Transfer the chicken to a platter and allow to cold slightly. Throw away the scallions and ginger from the cavity of the bird and remove and throw away the skin. Remove the breast meat, legs and wings. Throw away the carcass.
- Slice the breast meat and separate the drumstick from the thigh. Return the meat to the platter, cover and keep hot.
- 4. Measure 4 c. of the stock the chicken cooked in, retaining the rest for another use. In a large saucepan, heat the oils over medium-high heat and add in the garlic and remaining ginger slices. Cook, stirring, for 2 min. Add in the rinsed rice and toss till coated. Add in the 4 c. of stock and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, till the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 min.
- 5. Transfer the rice to a servings platter. Top with the chicken, garnish with the scallions and se immediately with the chili-ginger sauce on the side.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 891g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 592||59%|
|Total Fat 65.97g||82%|
|Saturated Fat 16.09g||64%|
|Trans Fat 0.26g|
|Total Carbs 28.29g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||4%|