Chicken thighs with artichokes simmered in broth flavored with port, ginger, and cilantro. Smoked paprika spices it up.
Serve this over steamed brown rice.
This can be accompanied by steamed green beans lightly tossed with butter and sprinkled with toasted slivered almonds.
- 3 Â½ lbs. chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced and diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger peeled and minced finely
- Â½ cup port
- Â¼ cup chicken broth
- 1-tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup peeled chopped tomatoes
- 2 pinches of smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- 1 package frozen artichoke hearts thawed and quartered
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Â¼ cup minced cilantro leaves
- 1-tablespoon flour or cornstarch
- Heat olive oil and brown chicken on all sides. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- In the same pan, sautÃ© onion and garlic until golden.
- Add ginger slivers, chicken broth, port, and vinegar. Bring to a boil. Return the chicken pieces to the pan and simmer covered over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes, salt, and pepper and continue simmering in covered pan for another 10 minutes.
- Add the artichokes, cilantro, smoked paprika, and lemon juice and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix 3 tablespoons of the cooking liquid with 1 tablespoon of flour or cornstarch and mix until smooth. Add to the pan to thicken the sauce.
- Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 480g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 493||60%|
|Total Fat 54.81g||69%|
|Saturated Fat 14.75g||59%|
|Trans Fat 0.69g|
|Total Carbs 15.38g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||9%|