Cost per serving $0.91 view details
- 1 lb boned and skinned chicken breasts
- 1/2 c. water for poaching
- 1 c. bulgur
- 2 c. water
- 1/2 c. dry apricots cut into quarters
- 1/2 c. currants
- 1 c. cucumber cubed
- 2 tsp dry mint flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar substitute
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic minced
- 1. Poach chicken breasts in water in covered skillet, turning at least once during cooking.
- 2. Bring 2 c. of water to boil and add in bulgur, cover and simmer for approximately 12-15 min (not mushy). Drain and cold in refrigerator.
- 3. When cooked, dice chicken and chill.
- 4. Make dressing by whisking together extra virgin olive oil, vinegar substitute, lemon juice, garlic, basil and mint (rub the herbs between fingers to crush when adding to mix).
- 5. When chicken and bulgur are both cold, add in apricots, currants, cucumber, and mix well. Fold in dressing.
- Let salad sit in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- NOTES :This recipe calls for 1 c. English cucumber, cubed. However, I think results would be similar with regular cucumber which has been peeled and seeded.
- This recipe lists 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar, but, since I am allergic to vinegar, I have listed it as "balsamic vinegar substitute" and hope I can come up with one.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce or possibly in pita halves.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 162g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 17||12%|
|Total Fat 1.9g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0.32g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 21.44g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.1g||14%|