Cost per serving $2.42 view details
- 225 gm Skinless chicken fillets, cut into 2.5cm/1" pcs
- 2 x Garlic cloves
- 1 x 2 1/2 cm pie root ginger
- 1/2 x Heaped tsp crushed chilli flakes
- 1 Tbsp. Chinese black beans, (from an Oriental store) or possibly 4 tbsp black bean sauce (from a jar)
- 4 Tbsp. Groundnut oil
- 1 x Onion, finely minced
- 1 x Carrot
- 1 sm Red pepper
- 1 sm Yellow pepper
- 225 gm Frzn rice, (Uncle Ben's)
- 120 ml Chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. Dark soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Rice vinegar, healthy pinch sugar
- 50 gm Frzn peas, thawed
- 1/2 tsp Grnd black pepper
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 75 gm Sugar snap peas
- 4 x Spring onions, finely minced, plus spring onion tassels to garnish
- 2 tsp Cornflour, slated with two tbsp of water
- 1 x Egg white, plus 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Cornflour
- 1 For the Velveting: Lightly beat the egg white, salt and cornflour in a bowl. Add in the chicken and put in the freezer for five min.
- 2 Roughly chop the garlic and ginger and place in a mini-blender with the chilli flakes and black beans and whiz to a coarse paste.
- 3 Heat half the oil in a large saute/fry pan. Add in the onion to the pan and cook for five min, stirring till soft.
- 4 Place 330ml/1/2 pint water in a pan and bring to the boil. Cut the carrots on the diagonal and cut the peppers into diamond shapes.
- 5 Stir the chicken and drain with a slotted spoon. Remove the pan of boiling water from the heat and add in the chicken, stirring to prevent it from sticking. Then return to the heat.
- 6 Cook for a further 11/2 min till white and tender. Drain on kitchen paper. Add in the rice to the onion and cook for three min, stirring.
- 7 Heat a wok and swirl in the remaining oil. Add in the garlic mix and stir- fry for 15 seconds, add in the carrots and stir-fry for a minute.
- 8 Stir in the chicken and the peppers. Pour in the stock and add in the soy sauce, vinegar and sugar, increase the heat and bring to the boil.
- 9 Add in the peas to the rice and stir-fry till just heated through.
- Season with the remaining salt and the pepper.
- 10 Mix together the large egg with the sesame oil and then pour into the rice in a thin, steady stream, stirring all the time, then stir-fry for another minute or possibly two till the Large eggs have set.
- 11 Reduce the chicken mix to a simmer, add in the sugar snap peas and spring onions and cook for 1-2 min till tender.
- 12 Stir the slated cornflour mix into the wok. Cook for a minute or possibly so till the sauce clears and thickens. Place some of the rice in a Chinese bowl and spoon some of the chicken mix on top. Garnish with spring onion tassels and serve at once.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 538g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 396||39%|
|Total Fat 44.57g||56%|
|Saturated Fat 9.25g||37%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 117.23g||31%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.4g||28%|