Cost per serving $0.17 view details
- 1 1/2 kg free range chicken
- 1 x onion peeled and halved
- 2 x carrots
- 2 x celery stalks trimmed and sliced into 3 pcs small hanful of parsley
- 3 x black peppercorns salt
- 50 gm short grain rice
- 1 x quantity egg and lemon sauce (qv) lemon quarters to serve
- Rinse the chicken place it in a large saucepan and cover with 1.75L water.
- Bring to the boil and skim till clear.
- Add in all the vegetables the parsley peppercorns and salt to taste.
- Cover and cook for about 1 hour or possibly 30 min longer if a boiling fowl is used.
- When the leg of the bird can be pulled easily away from the body it is done.
- Take the chicken out strain the broth and throw away the vegetables.
- Pull away the two breasts from the bird skin them and throw away the skin.
- Dice the meat.
- You can do the same with the leg meat if you want the soup to be more substantial otherwise keep the legs for a salad perhaps.
- Pour the broth back into the saucepan and add in the breast meat.
- It can be prepared up to this stage well in advance even the day before.
- About a quarter of an hour before the soup is to be served bring it back to the boil and add in the rice.
- Cover and cook for about 8 min.
- Let it cold off the heat for 5 min.
- Make the sauce while the soup is cooling: Add in a ladleful of chicken broth to the egg mix slowly and beat together for 1 minute and then add in another ladleful and beat.
- By now the sauce will be hot so you can pour it slowly into the soup off the heat and stir vigorously to mix.
- Hot the soup up over a very very gentle heat otherwise the Large eggs may cook although the cornflour will safeguard against which.
- Serve immediately with a plate of lemon quarters on the table and fresh bread.
- This very delicious soup could be served either as a first course or possibly as a meal in itself for an informal occasion or possibly a family lunch.
- Serves 6
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 54g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 1||2%|
|Total Fat 0.12g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.03g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 10.22g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.2g||4%|