This recipe has a creamy mushroom sauce instead of a brothy sauce. I usually double and triple the recipe and make extra sauce to accompany a side of pasta or potatoes.
- 1-3/4 cups chicken broth (14 fl oz)
- 2 TB finely chopped shallot
- 5 TB unsalted butter
- 10 oz mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 skinless bonless chicken breast halves (2 lb total)
- 2 TB extra virgin oil oil
- 1/2 cup plus 2 TB (sweet) Marsala wine
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat to 200 degrees
- Bring broth to a boil in a 2 qrt saucepan over high heat, then boil uncovered, until reduced to about 3/4 cup, about 20 min.
- Cook shallots in 3 TB butter in an 8-10 inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring until shallots begin to turn golden, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms, 1 tsp sage, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occassionally until mushrooms begin to brown. 6-8 min. Remove from heat.
- Place flour in wide, shallow bowl. Gently pound chicken to a 1/4 " thick between 2 sheets of plastic wrap using the flat side of a meat pounder or rolling pin.
- Pat chicken dry and season with salt-pepper, then dredge in flour ... one piece at a time, shaking off excess. Transfer to sheets of wax paper, arranging chicken in 1 layer.
- Heat 1 TB each of oil and butter in a 10 inch heavy skillet over modertely high heat until foam subsides, then saute' half of chicken, turning over once, until golden and just cooked through (about 4 min. total)
- Transfer cooked chicken into a large heatproof platter, arranging in 1 layer. Place platter in oven to keep warm.
- Wipe out skillet with paper towels and cook remaining chicken in same manner, then transfer to oven (keeping 1 layer)
- Add 1/2 cup Marsala wine to skillet and boil over high heat stirring and scraping up brown bits (about 30 sec.) Add chicken broth, cream and mushrooms...simmer, stir until sauce thickens (6-8 min) Add lemon juice and 2 TB of wine and 1/2 tsp sage.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 254g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 257||65%|
|Total Fat 29.28g||37%|
|Saturated Fat 14.36g||57%|
|Trans Fat 0.18g|
|Total Carbs 28.13g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.1g||7%|