- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced (add more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large tomato chopped or 1/2 of a 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes drained
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano crushed
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 cup Cilantro chopped fresh
- Chopped Jalepeno or Serrano peppers on the side
- Lime wedges
Chicken, Lime & Tortilla Soup
- Cut tortillas in half, then crosswise into 1/2 inch wide strips. Arrange on baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or light cooking oil. Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In large pot boil broth with chicken covered for about 15 minutes. Remove chicken and shred once cool. Pour broth into a large bowl.
- In same pot saute onion, green pepper and garlic until tender. Add broth, tomato and oregano. Bring to boil. Stir in lime zest and lime juice. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Sire in chicken and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- To Serve: Ladle soup into bowls. Add a few tortilla strips and server with chopped jalapenos, cilantro, avocado, and lime wedges.
This recipe is light and delicious. I often make it with left over baked chicken. It can also be made with boiled chicken as described below. This is not a heavy handed tortilla soup. It is simple and yummy. Try adding hominy or avocado as well!