Chicken à la King is a delicious, nostalgic recipe consisting of diced chicken in a luxuriously rich, cream sauce with vegetables and often served over rice, pasta or bread. The other key ingredient is diced pimentos. One of my Facebook friends, Jerry Johnson, sent me the recipe his mom used, from an old Betty Crocker cookbook and asked if I could remake it skinny. Since I love a challenge, I was happy to get to work in my kitchen. Mission accomplished! Here’s my skinny version. I’ve added much more vegetables, a reduced-fat creamy sauce and serving stuffed into a baked potato. It’s super rich tasting and very filling. The skinny for each stuffed potato, 351 calories, 5 grams of fat and 9 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. I hope you all enjoy it, especially Jerry!
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
- 3 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced (if slices are large cut each in half)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1Â½ cups onions, diced
- Â½ cup all-purpose flour
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- Â¼ teaspoon fresh pepper, or to taste
- 1Â½ cups reduced-fat milk (2%)
- 1Â¼ cups Swansonâs reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chicken, cooked, chopped, skin removed
- 1 (4 oz) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 6 medium baking potatoes (about 2-Â¼â to 3-Â¼â diameter)
- To Bake Potatoes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash and dry each potato and pierce with a fork. Bake in oven about 45 minutes- 1 hour until completely baked through. Remove from oven, wrap each in foil to keep warm. To cook in microwave: cook 1 potato at a time in the microwave. Cook for 3 minutes, turn over and continue to cook for about 3-4 minutes until soft. Remove from microwave, wrap each in foil to keep warm.
- To Make Chicken Ã la King: In a large nonstick pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Cook mushrooms, onions, red bell peppers in butter, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft about 4 minutes.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper and stirring constantly, until blended; remove from heat. Using a whisk, stir in milk and broth. Continue to whisk until the flour becomes dissolved. Place back on medium-high heat and cook, whisking constantly until boiling. Continue to boil, stirring continuously for 1 more minute. Stir in chicken, pimentos and continue to cook until hot.
- Cut baked potatoes in half. Mash each with a fork. Add about Â¾ cup Chicken Ã la King to each.
- This dish can be made ahead and reheated. It also freezes great.
- For more skinny recipes, please join me at http:www.skinnykitchen.com
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 311g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 128||46%|
|Total Fat 14.28g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 5.95g||24%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 22.41g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||8%|