Cost per serving $1.53 view details
- 6 x chicken thighs, skinless, boneless
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (45 ml)
- 1 lrg onion, minced
- 2 x leeks, white part only, washed and sliced
- 4 stalk celery, sliced
- 3 c. chicken stock (750 ml)
- 2 x Large eggs, separated
- 1 x juice of 1 lemon
- 2 x green onions, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh minced dill for garnish (15 ml)
- Â Â Coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Â Â Pita bread or possibly crusty bread (optional)
- In a large skillet, on high, heat extra virgin olive oil and saute/fry onions and leeks till soft, about 5 to 6 min. Add in the chicken pcs and turn often till proportionately browned. Add in the celery, and 2 c. of stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer till chicken is tender, about 20 to 25 min. Adjust the seasoning. Keep on a low simmer.
- Bring remaining 1 c. of stock to a gentle simmer in a small pot.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and the lemon juice till smooth. When stock comes to a simmer, pour stock slowly into the egg yolk mix in a steady stream, while whisking vigorously. Note if the stock is too warm, it will scramble the egg yolks.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk egg whites, till light and frothy, about 1 minute. Fold white into warm egg yolk mix.
- Remove chicken from heat and pour warm egg mix over top while stirring. Chicken has to be off the heat for this process. The Large eggs will cook from the residual heat. Again if the heat is too high the Large eggs will scramble. Sprinkle with minced dill and green onions. Serve with lots of pita bread or possibly crusty bread. Depending on appetite, serves 4 to 6 people.
- This is my version of the Greek Avgolemono sauce. Avgolemono can also be a soup. It's the same method - you have to carefully temper the Large eggs so they do not scramble. The sauce is usually thicker than the soup and the soup traditionally has the addition of rice.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 358g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 207||68%|
|Total Fat 23.17g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 5.21g||21%|
|Trans Fat 0.15g|
|Total Carbs 6.11g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.1g||7%|