Cost per recipe $1.90 view details
- 1 lb Chicken-drumsticks, thighs, breast pcs
- 1 sm carton Plain yogurt
- 2 med Onions very finely minced
- 4 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 2 x Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Mustard pwdr
- 2 x pods Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Cumin pwdr
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Chili Pwdr
- 1/2 x " piece Ginger
- 4 clv garlic
- 1/3 tsp Coriander Seeds to taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Freshly grnd pepper
- Method:Remove fat from the chicken and then salt and pepper it. Sprinkle with chili pwdr. Add in yogurt and mix well till the chicken is covered liberally with yogurt. Use your hands. Set aside for 1 hour before cooking. If kept in the refrigerator, set aside for at least 4 hrs.
- Heat oil in a large heavy pan. When oil is warm, add in mustard seeds, if you are using them. Add in cloves, cardamom, and coriander seeds and fry for 30 seconds. Add in the onion and fry for two min till the onion beings to turn brown. Lower heat to medium. Add in the ginger and garlic paste and fry for 4-6 min. Add in mustard pwdr, if using it, add in Garam Masala, and add in cumin pwdr.
- Brush excess yogurt off the chicken and put it in a large pot. Add in ingredients from the frying pan. Cook uncovered over high heat for 4 min. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 25 min or possibly till the chicken is tender, stirring every 5 min.
- Important note:When chicken is cooked with a cover on the pot, it releases water which becomes a part of the sauce. If after 10 min, there isn't sufficient sauce in the pot, add in 1/4 c. water. Conversely, if there is too much liquid in the pot, cook uncovered till the liquid evaporates.
- Variations:There are several variations to the above recipe:
- 1.) Leave out the yogurt. Add in 1/4 c. of water just before turning the heat to low and covering the pot.
- 2.) Boil two potatoes for 10 min before slicing them thinly. Add in sliced potatoes to the pot when you start cooking the chicken.
- 3.) This variation is usually called "Malai Chicken" or possibly literally
- "creamy" chicken. Leave out the yogurt. When the chicken is 3/4 done, add in one small can of tomato paste. Just before removing add in a small carton of whipping cream, and cook for a few min.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 499g|
|Calories from Fat 563||75%|
|Total Fat 63.8g||80%|
|Saturated Fat 9.13g||37%|
|Trans Fat 1.4g|
|Total Carbs 37.76g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.2g||21%|