I wanted to try a different style of making chicken curry last night and just made up my own recipe and I must say it came out really well...
The dish has a nice thick gravy , not too spicy and just finger licking good!!!
Best when served with Roti , naan or rice.
Give it a try, you'll know what I mean.
- Chicken (Bone in) - 2lbs ( cut into small bite sized pieces)
- Red Onions - 1 large / 2 medium sized ( thinly sliced)
- Green chillies - 3-4nos ( slit lengthwise)
- Ginger-Garlic paste - 1.5 tblsp
- Roma Tomatoes - 2-3 large
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli powder - 1 - 2 tsp
- Corriander powder - 1.5 tblsp
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Pepper - 1 tsp
- Yoghurt (low fat or full fat) - 1/2 cup
- Cashew nuts - 8-10 nos.
- For Tempering:
- Mustard seeds - 1tsp
- Dry Red chilli - 2-3
- Curry leaves - 1sprig or 5-6 leaves
- Oil (Canola or vegetable oil) - 2tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces.
- Using a grinder or food processor puree the tomatoes and keep aside.
- In a deep non-stick pan or skillet, heat the Oil, and then crack mustard seeds and add the dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the thinly sliced onions, green chillies, Ginger-Garlic paste and little salt and saute the mixture until the onions turns nice and pink and soft. (Adding salt will help saute the onions faster)
- Add the dry spice mix - turmeric powder, red chilli powder, corriander powder, garam masala and pepper and stir fry again for 2 mins. (Make sure to not burn the spice mix so keep on medium heat)
- Now add the tomato puree and mix well and cover and cook for another 1min.
- Add the chicken pieces and little more salt , mix well again and cover and cook on medium heat for 15-20mins(or until the chicken is cooked well) , keep stirring in between to make sure the gravy does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Now in the food processor / grinder , add the cashewnuts and grind it using little water into a fine paste.
- Also add the yoghurt and beat it well in the grinder.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked , reduce the heat to low , and add this yoghurt and cashew paste.
- Stir well and cook for another 1-2 mins on low heat.
- Serve hot with Roti , Naan or Rice...Enjoy!
- Suggestions: You can use boneless chicken also for this recipe.
- You may garnish the dish with some Corriander leaves.
- You can add more yoghurt if you want more gravy or if you think the dish is still spicy.
- Tips: You need not add water while cooking the chicken as some water from the chicken itself will be released during cooking providing enough gravy for the dish.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 342g|
|Recipe makes 5 servings|
|Calories from Fat 392||64%|
|Total Fat 43.57g||54%|
|Saturated Fat 11.58g||46%|
|Trans Fat 0.14g|
|Total Carbs 5.79g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.0g||3%|