There are as many different chicken curries as there are cooks. This is an easy and simple Chicken Curry I have grown up having at home.
Cost per serving $2.01 view details
- One Cornish game hen (you can use regular pieces of chicken)
- 1 red onion finely sliced
- 5-6 green chilies slit lengthwise
- 1 ripe, medium tomato, cut into thick slices
- Handful of coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- Pinch of garam masala powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 black cardamom
- 2-3 tablespoons mustard oil (can be substituted for any cooking oil - canola or vegetable)
- Pinch of sugar
- Heat mustard oil till almost smoking. Add the pinch of sugar and let it caramelize. Now add the bay leaf and black cardamom. Immediately add the sliced onions and fry on high-medium heat till the onions get a brown color. Add the chicken pieces and fry for 7-8 minutes stirring continuously. Add the slit green chilies. When the chicken is nice and brown, add the ginger-garlic paste and cook for five more minutes, covered with a lid. Add the dry spices â turmeric, red chili and coriander powder.
- The pieces of tomato and salt go in next. Cover and cook for sometime on medium heat. Add about two cups of water and cover. Cook for 10 minutes till all the raw taste in the spices is gone.
- Sprinkle a pinch of garam masala powder and chopped coriander.
- Serve this Murgiâr Jhol* with steaming rice that has a smear of desi ghee.
- *A jhol essentially is a thin gravy and its okay to have this chicken curry a little runny!
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 94g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 145||73%|
|Total Fat 16.3g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 3.07g||12%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 4.38g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|