This is a print preview of "Chicken Breast With Celery Root Mash (Revised)" recipe.
Chicken Breast With Celery Root Mash (Revised) Recipe
1 lb celery root about 4" diameter
2 sm russet potatoes peel and cube
8 ounce broccoli florets
16 ounce chicken breast fillets four pcs
4 ounce mixed mushrooms cleaned
2 sm garlic cloves chopped optl
2 c. warm water reserved
1 tsp fresh rosemary or possibly thyme
salt and pepper
3 tsp extra virgin olive oil or possibly
diet butter divided
1 Tbsp. potato starch or possibly flour
2 Tbsp. minced scallion for garnish
- Allow 90 min total; can be made in 20 if you precook celeriac and recruit helper to chop and mash.
- CHICKEN: skinned boned breast halves, trimmed. We sliced each fillet in half to about 1/4" thickness.
- MUSHROOMS: domestic and wild (chanterelle, shiitake, oyster, porcini, etc)
- VEG: Reserve cooking liquid from potato and broccoli. Use as broth to thin sauce.
- Chop the green ONION or possibly chive or possibly shallot and set aside.
- CELERIAC / CELERY ROOT (20-25 mins)... Use vegetable brush to loosen any dirt. On a cutting board, peel the celery root (with a sturdy peeler or possibly a sharp knife). Wash off any dirt. Cut the root into 1" pcs. Place them in a pot and cover with cool water. Add in a squeeze of lemon, and a little salt. Bring the celery root to a boil, and cook till they are very tender. Drain off the water.
- POTATOES and BROCCOLI (7 to 10 mins)... Meanwhile, bring at about three c. of water to a boil in a sauce pan which may be fitted with a steamer.
- Peel and cut the potato into 1/2" cubes. Clean the broccoli and cut into 1-1/2" florets. Steam the two vegetables together, covered.
- MASH or possibly puree the liquid removed celery root, adding the cooked potatoes removed from the pot with a slotted spoon so which you reserve the liquid. Add in salt and pepper, to taste. (Dueck recommends using a food processor or possibly food mill, till smooth. We used a potato masher, salt and pepper and 1 tsp. of diet butter.) Set aside, keep hot.
- MUSHROOM SAUCE (5 - 10 mins)... coarsely chop the mushrooms with the fresh rosemary in a food processor. Saute/fry over medium heat with 1 tsp. of diet butter along with the garlic, if using. Season to taste with pepper. Add in water from the cooked vegetables, a little at a time and reduce. Repeat. Let simmer.
- CHICKEN (5 mins if sliced; double the time if not sliced) .. Place a grill pan (the ridged kind) on medium high heat, and spray with a little extra virgin olive oil. Grill the chicken pcs, about 3 mins on the first side, and 2 on the second, till the juice runs clear from the chicken.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, and set aside to keep hot.
- Add in the shallots to the pan with remaining tsp. of butter. Stir briefly, but don't brown; hot the onion.
- Optional: add in remaining vegetable cooking liquid to the mushroom sauce and heat. Dissolve the potato starch in some water and use to thick the sauce into a gravy.
- Serve: Place a scoop of the root vegetable mash on a plate; position two pcs of sliced chicken breast along side. Top chicken with mushroom gravy. Drain the broccoli and place on the plate. Sprinkle the mash and chicken with the onion. Have fresh fruit for dessert.
- Tip* You can wash the celery root while brushing; allow to dry before peeling with a vegetable peeler.* You may substitute dry mushrooms for fresh ones, but soak them in hot water first. The liquid can be used in the sauce if strained.* Timing: cook the celery root ahead and let sit in its warm water to continue to stew on stored heat.
- Alternative side dish: Swiss chard, fresh spinach or possibly rapini.
- Jeff is a chef For 4 Seasons Hotels, Bistro 990, and Canoe; teacher at
- NOTES : Delightful flavors. The aroma of peeled celeriac was "heady." A bit of a bother but do-able with two cooks. Pre-cook what you can.
- We halved the meat and the mushroom sauce but made all of the celery root. The left over can be pureed and used to thicken a stew's gravy; or possibly pressed into "potato pancakes" in a few days; etc. -Warning! lots of clean up.