Included are some tips on how to saute moist chicken breasts. Use this chicken recipe for enchiladas, tacos, nachos, or other dishes.
There is a recipe link for homemade flour tortillas, which are so much better than store-bought. But, if you have access to a Mexican grocery, tortilla factory, or Kroger's, you might be able to buy tasty ones.
For me, Mission or other brands are just not that good, since I learned to make my own.
kitchen mallet, or rolling pin
large skilllet with a lid (or aluminum foil)
heavy sharp knife
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tbs., or more, taco or fajita seasoning - see links for homemade powders
- 2 tbs. pure olive oil, or evoo
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon or lime juice.
- 1 1/2 cups your favorite shredded cheese
- 8 flour tortillas, small fajita size, or homemade
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream
- pico de gallo
- Place a chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap or wax paper.
- Using a mallet, or rolling pin, pound it until it is uniform in size.
- Repeat with other pieces of chicken.
- Place them in a plastic baggie with the seasoning, oil, and lemon or lime juice.
- Marinate several hours in the fridge.
- Prepare homemade tortillas, if making them.
- Remove breasts from the marinade.
- Over a medium heat, cook the breasts 4-5 minutes, or more, depending on thickness, on each side. Cover the chicken with a lid for 1 minute each side that you cook.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, re-cover with a lid for 5 minutes. Juices will return to the center.
- Slice them "against the grain" for maximum tenderness, about 1/2 inch thick. The "grain" is easier to find on the bottom side of the breast where the little ridges are more detailed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Wipe the skillet clean. Heat to medium.
- Place 1-2 tortillas on it, sprinkle on cheese, top with slices of chicken, then the second tortilla (s).
- Cover the skillet with a lid, let cook 30 seconds-1 minute, turn the quesadillas on the othetr side, cover, cook another minute, or until cheese is melted.
- Repeat process.
- Cut in quarters with a sharp, heavy knife, serve.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 98g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 188||68%|
|Total Fat 21.3g||27%|
|Saturated Fat 10.0g||40%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 1.35g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|