Cost per serving $1.19 view details
- 1/4 c. Spanish extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 sm. chickens (3 1/2 lb.) cut into quarters
- 1 med. onion, finely minced
- 1/2 med. green pepper, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lg. ripe tomato, peeled, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon warm sauce
- Generous healthy pinch saffron
- 3 1/2 c. chicken stock
- 2 c. long grain rice
- 1 can tiny French style peas, heated
- 1 can pimento, cut in thin strips
- Parsley sprigs
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil over moderate heat in heavy non-iron 10 inch frying pan till warm (not smoking).
- Cook chicken 2 or 3 pieces at a time until pale gold, adding more oil when necessary, then transfer to heavy flame-proof casserole with tight cover.
- Adjust heat to moderately high.
- Add in onion, green pepper and garlic to warm drippings in pan; cook, stirring till onion turns gold.
- Stir in tomato, blend and spoon mix over chicken.
- Add in lemon juice, bay leaf, minced parsley, salt and warm sauce.
- Add in saffron to 1 1/4 c. of stock, bring to a boil and simmer 5 min.
- Add in to chicken, cover casserole and simmer over low heat till chicken is tender, 15 to 20 min. (Meanwhile preheat oven to 325 degrees.)
- Bring remaining stock to a boil and add in to chicken.
- Add in rice, bring to a boil once more, then cover casserole tightly and transfer to oven.
- Bake for 20 min (till rice is tender and liquid is absorbed).
- Uncover and garnish with peas, pimento and parsley sprigs.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 356g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 254||48%|
|Total Fat 28.28g||35%|
|Saturated Fat 7.4g||30%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 32.35g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.1g||10%|