- 1 bn Swiss chard, (about 1 lb.), washed
- 1 med Onion, minced
- 2 x Celery ribs, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 c. Cooked dry chick-peas or possibly rinsed and liquid removed canned chick-peas, (about one 15-oz can)
- 1 1/2 c. Cooked dry lima beans or possibly rinsed and liquid removed canned lima beans, (about one 15-oz can)
- 8 c. Water
- 2 c. Chicken broth
- 2/3 c. Orzo, (rice-shaped pasta) Harissa, (North African warm spice paste)
- Cut stems and center ribs away from chard leaves. Slice stems and center ribs thin. Chop leaves coarse and reserve.
- In a 6-qt heavy saucepan cook chard stems and ribs, onion, celery in oil over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, till onion is softened.
- Add in chick-peas, lima beans, water, and broth and simmer, partially covered, 10 min. Stir in orzo and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, till orzo is tender, about 10 min. Stir in reserved chard leaves and simmer till leaves are tender, about 5 min. Stir in salt to taste.
- Serve soup with harissa to taste.
- Makes about 12 c.; serves 6 as a main course.