Heres my Chicharon,the apple cider dip with garlic,salt and pepper gives a perfect twist (add chopped chili if you like).. its crunchy..it makes crackling sound as you bite it....The old folks would love it with cerbeza or beer, whisky and wine.. youngsters would love it with a bottle of coca cola. Well, I love it with my ginger ale.I always eat chicharon with fondness, for the memory of the past makes me so at home and happy.
- 2 lbs pork rinds cut into 1 inch square
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp rice wine
- 1 cup of oil for frying
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- fish sauce
- freshly ground peppercorns
- chopped fresh red chili (optional)
- In a sauce pan,boil cut pork rinds,rice wine and salt in water for 30 minutes ( medium heat)
- After 30 minutes, strain the meat to get excess water or oil.Pat them dry.
- Then,using your baking tray, spread the cooked pork rinds.
- Bake at 300 ( 165) for 3 hours.
- Now,set aside and let it cool for about 15 minutes.
- Drain excess oil and pat them dry.
- The most exciting part: You may now fry by batches..make sure the oil is really hot.
- Have fun while cooking..you will see them expands and magically turns white.
- You will know its cooked once it expands, the color will change from brown to white then golden brown.
- Use a colander or strainer to take off excess oil.
- Now prepare your sauce,adjust according to your taste ( fish sauce and salt )
- Store them in a tightly closed container for future use. Freshness or crispiness of this type will last for a week.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 169g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 321||98%|
|Total Fat 36.34g||45%|
|Saturated Fat 2.7g||11%|
|Trans Fat 0.94g|
|Total Carbs 1.0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|