Cost per serving $1.53 view details
- 1 x live lobster - (1 3/4 to 2 lbs)
- 3 c. whole lowfat milk
- 2 c. chicken stock or possibly more if needed
- Â Â (or possibly canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 1 sm bay leaf
- 6 x fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 x fresh parsley sprigs
- 3 c. vacuum-packed chestnuts - (15 to 16 ounce)
- Â Â (available at specialty foods stores and some supermarkets)
- 1/4 c. Madeira
- Â Â Salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Â Â Chopped fresh chives
- Cook lobster in pot of boiling salted water till shell turns bright red and meat is opaque in center, about 8 min. Drain. Transfer lobster to large bowl; cold. Working over same bowl to catch juices, twist off claws. Cut off tail. Cut lobster meat from shells. Reserve shells; scrape out green tomalley and throw away. Cut meat into 1/2-inch pcs; cover and chill.
- Bring lowfat milk, 2 c. stock, bay leaf, thyme, parsley, and lobster shells with any accumulated juices to simmer in heavy large saucepan. Cover; simmer 10 min. Strain into large bowl. Return strained liquid to pan. Add in chestnuts; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered till tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 min. Working in batches, puree soup in blender. (Lobster and soup can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately; chill.)
- Bring soup to simmer. Stir in Madeira. Thin with more stock, if necessary, and stir till heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, heat butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add in lobster meat; saute/fry 1 minute to heat through.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with lobster meat. Sprinkle with chopped fresh chives and serve.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
- Comments: An elegant first course from Club Gascon.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 216g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 54||47%|
|Total Fat 6.03g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 3.54g||14%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 7.83g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2%|