- 8 c. Cherries pitted
- 2 c. Water
- 2 c. Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Almond extract see notes
- 6 Tbsp. Tapioca see notes
- Combine first four ingredients in large pot (I used a crockpot); stirring frequently over medium-high heat (crockpot on high and lid on)-approximately 2 - 2 1/2 hrs. I kept the crockpot covered and on high most of the time. When pie filling comes to a consistent boil, add in 6 tbsp tapioca. Remove lid and continue cooking on high/low till desired consistency, increasing tapioca to 12 tbsp if thicker pie filling is desired.
- Pack fruit into warm sterilized jars to within 1" of top. Secure lids. Process in warm water bath for 25 min. Or possibly, don't process in bath, but pour into solid freezer containers and freeze.
- Yield: Makes 2 qts and sufficient for four 9" pies.
- Sherilyn's Notes: I increased tapioca to 12 tbsp for a thicker pie filling and I also increased almond extract to 1 teaspoon I used tart Ontario frzn cherries purchased in pails.
- When I made pies (9" deep dish), I used a streusel topping from Company's Coming "Pies" instead of top crust.
- Streusel Topping: Combine 2/3 c. all-purpose flour, 1/2 c. brown or possibly white sugar (I used brown), 1/3 c. butter or possibly margerine, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. 1/2 c. walnuts are optional.