Cost per serving $2.64 view details
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- 3 lb boneless beef chuck cut into 1" cubes
- 1Â 3/4 c. finely-diced onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. tomato puree
- 4 c. beef broth
- 2 x bay leaves
- 2 pch dry thyme
- 2 pch freshly-grnd black pepper
- Â Â Salt to taste
- 6 x celery ribs cut large pcs
- 2Â 3/4 c. cut carrots in large pcs
- 1 lrg red bell pepper
- 1 pkt small pearl onions - (8 ounce) peeled
- 1 c. diced tomatoes
- 1Â 2/3 c. frzn green peas
- 1 Tbsp. Tabasco sauce
- Heat oil in a large pot till very warm. Add in beef; brown well, stirring frequently. Don't crowd beef in pot; if necessary, brown beef in batches.
- Add in onions and garlic; cook till lightly browned. Sprinkle flour into pot; stir to combine with fat, making a roux. Cook till roux is lightly browned.
- Stir in tomato puree and stock. Continue to stir till sauce thickens. Add in bay leaves, thyme and black pepper.
- Reduce heat to low; cover pot. Cook till meat is tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. Stir and check occasionally to keep mix from scorching.
- While meat is cooking, bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add in celery, carrots, red bell pepper and onions. Cook till vegetables are tender. Drain.
- When the meat is tender, add in cooked vegetables, diced tomatoes, peas and Tabasco to stew. Heat through. Remove and throw away bay leaves. Serve warm.
- Miner's beef stew can be served in a "boule," a round loaf of bread which has been hollowed out.
- This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 353g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 258||56%|
|Total Fat 28.76g||36%|
|Saturated Fat 9.6g||38%|
|Trans Fat 0.14g|
|Total Carbs 16.43g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||12%|