Cost per recipe $17.81 view details
- 1/2 lb salt
- 1/4 lb freshly-grnd black pepper
- 1/4 ounce cayenne
- 4 ounce paprika
- 2 ounce garlic pwdr
- 1Â 3/4 ounce onion pwdr
- 1 x side of salmon - (3 to 4 lbs) boned and trimmed
- Â Â Wood chips as needed
- 2 c. lowfat sour cream
- 1 bn fresh chives chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Â Â Creole seasoning see * Note
- 1 x thinly-sliced loaf sandwich bread crusts removed
- 2 Tbsp. butter softened
- 6 ounce salmon caviar
- In a small bowl, combine the tasso curing spices and mix well. On a large sheet pan spread a piece of plastic wrap. Sprinkle 3/4 of the tasso curing spices on the wrap, then lay the side of salmon on top. Cover the salmon with the remaining spices, using more on the head end of the fish. Wrap the fish securely in the plastic and chill for 4 days.
- Soak wood chips in water for at least 30 min and prepare the grill. Drain the chips and place in a stovetop smoker. Unwrap the fish and place on the smoker, skin-side down. Cover the smoker and cook for approximately 5 min to impart a smoky flavor.
- Remove the fish from the smoker, brush the excess cure from the surface of the fish and allow to rest, covered, in the refrigerator at least 1 hour, or possibly overnight.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the lowfat sour cream, chives, lemon juice, salt and Creole seasoning to taste. Cover and chill till needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spread the sliced bread with butter and cut into either triangles or possibly squares. Toast the bread slices in the oven till just golden brown, about 4 min. Allow to crisp on a cooling rack.
- Slice the salmon thinly on a diagonal with a very sharp knife. Fold 1 slice onto each toast and top with a dollop of chive lowfat sour cream and caviar.
- This recipe yields approximately 60 canapes.
- Yield: 60 canapes
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 960g|
|Calories from Fat 1141||63%|
|Total Fat 130.67g||163%|
|Saturated Fat 70.32g||281%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 162.85g||43%|
|Dietary Fiber 53.2g||177%|