This is such a favorite that I make it as a requested birthday dinner for just about everyone! Big hit with my mother and father-in-law as well!! This recipe is for 6 people, but trust me, none will go to waste!
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Canola oil
- 7 good sized baking potatoes, peeled, and cubed
- 3-4 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (I like extra sharp)
- 1 green and one red bell pepper
- 11/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tsp garlic salt
- 1/8 cup of half and half
- 1/8 cup water
- 2 eggs
- Canola oil
- chicken broth
- 2 medium cloves of fresh garlic copped
- Heat oven to broil
- Put potatoes to boil in large pot of water until tender
- Make into mashed potatoes using chicken broth and 2 cloves of fresh chopped garlic
- rinse and pat chicken breasts dry
- On stove heat canola oil in cast iron skillet ( used for frying)
- In a large bowl whisk wet ingredients together, put chicken in
- Julienne slice bell peppers
- Evenly sprinkle 2 cups of cheese and bell peppers in a 9 by 13 baking dish, set aside
- Remove chicken from liquid and coat with flour mixture and fry until golden brown and drain extra oil.
- Place baking dish under broiler until cheese melts, pull
- out of oven, and alternately place chicken and mashed potatoes in pan ( this will look like "servings") over melted cheese.
- Sprinkle entire dish with the rest of the cheese and place back under broiler until cheese is golden bubbly.
- Serve and enjoy!