I have adjusted and removed some ingredients to lighten it up. My husband and I really liked this one and my husband doesn't like spinach.
Serve as a side dish to accompany healthy grilled chicken or as its own vegetarian dish. You can definitely play around with the cheeses you use...try pizza blend, Mexican blend or any other cheese your family likes. And what could get kids to eat their spinach like lacing it with various cheeses?
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen spinach (thawed then hand squeezed dry to remove excess moisture)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (use cold rice for this)
- 1.5 cups shredded kraft 2% cheddar cheese
- 1/2cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup finely minced onion
- 1-2 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup grated part skim mozzarella cheese, for topping
- Generously grease a 11 x 7-inch disposable baking dish.
- - In a large bowl, combine all ingredients with a wooden spoon, mixing very well to combine.
- - Season with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
- - Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- - Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- To Freeze
- - Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then cover in foil.
- To Serve
- - thaw over night in refrigerator
- - remove wrapping and bake at 350Â°F for 25-30 minutes or until hot.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 336g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 252||50%|
|Total Fat 28.53g||36%|
|Saturated Fat 16.01g||64%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 31.38g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.1g||14%|