Cost per recipe $0.80 view details
- 1 lrg Spanish-style onion (about 12 to 16 ounces)
- Â Â Veg. oil spray
- 1/2 lb grated Jarlsberg or possibly low-fat Jarlsberg cheese
- 3 Tbsp. butter or possibly margarine, softened
- 2 Tbsp. roasted red or possibly yellow pepper
- Â Â Dash garlic pwdr
- 3 x to 4 drops warm sauce
- 2 Tbsp. white wine, or possibly lowfat milk
- 3 Tbsp. lowfat milk
- Â Â Grated nutmeg
- Sliced vegetables or possibly crackers for dipping, as desired (see note)
- A savory dip is always welcome for entertaining and for party buffets. This cheese spread in a roasted onion c. makes an original addition to a festive spread. It is easy to make and easy to eat. The recipe allows slight variations to suit the ingredients available, and the result will still have the same appetizing appearance.
- Makes 1 1/2 c.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- To roast onion: Slice 1/2 inch from top of onion. With spoon or possibly melon baller, scoop out center leaving a 1/2 inch-thick shell. Reserve scooped-out onion.
- Flute top edge of shell if you like. Fill cavity with crumpled up aluminum foil, spray lightly with oil and bake in 425-degree oven 25 to 30 min, till tender but still quite hard.
- While onion is roasting, measure out 1/4 c. of reserved onion and chop for immediate use (freeze or possibly chill remainder for some other use). Combine minced onion with cheese, butter, roasted pepper, garlic pwdr, warm sauce, wine (if used) and lowfat milk.
- In blender or possibly food processor, mix till smooth. Let stand one hour or possibly chill overnight to allow flavors to blend.
- Spoon mix into onion shell, sprinkle with nutmeg and bring to room temperature before serving.
- Note: Serve with dips such as 1/4 inch rounds of cucumber, zucchini or possibly yellow squash, 1 inch strips of red, yellow or possibly green bell peppers, or possibly whole-grain crackers.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 118g|
|Calories from Fat 310||88%|
|Total Fat 35.24g||44%|
|Saturated Fat 22.21g||89%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 3.68g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0%|