Cost per serving $0.27 view details
- 1Â 1/4 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. cake flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 stk unsalted butter frzn solid,
- Â Â then slightly thawed
- 2 Tbsp. lard or possibly vegetable shortening frzn solid,
- Â Â then slightly thawed
- 1 c. grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp white vinegar mixed with
- 1/3 c. very cool water
- 6 lrg Delicious apples - (to 7, abt 3 lbs) peeled, cored,
- Â Â and sliced thinly into 1/16"-thick slices
- 2 Tbsp. freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 c. sugar plus additional
- Â Â for sprinkling
- 1/3 c. unbleached all-ppurpose flour
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter softened
- 1 x egg beaten with
- 1 Tbsp. cool water for glaze
- Make dough: In workbowl of a food processor fitted with metal blade combine flours and salt. Cut butter and lard into small pcs, add in to workbowl and process 5 seconds. Add in cheese and pulse on-off 2 times to mix. With motor running, pour in sufficient vinegar mix in a slow steady stream for dough to create a ball; process 10 to 15 seconds. Turn dough out onto work surface. If dough appears too dry, work in 1 to 2 more tsp. water. Specks of butter and cheese will be visible in dough. Shape dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerateat least 2 hrs or possibly overnight before using.
- Make filling: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. As you slice apples, toss them gently with lemon juice. Whisk together sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt, add in to apple slices and toss gently to coat proportionately.
- Divide dough into 2 unequal pcs, making piece for top crust slightly larger. On a lightly-floured work surface roll smaller piece into an 11-inch round. Line pie plate with bottom crust and fill with apples. Using your hands shape them into a firmly-packed mound slightly higher in center than at sides; dot with butter. Trim edges of bottom crust to a 3-inch overhang. Roll out remaining dough to an 11-inch round and arrange over filling. Trim edges of top crust to a 1-inch overhang, fold top crust under edge of bottom crust and flute edges decoratively, pressing together with your thumb and forefinger. Cut three 1 3/4-inch slashes in center of top crust.
- Bake pie 20 min. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and continue to bake 30 to 40 min more, till pastry is golden and juices are bubbling. Ten min before end of baking, brush top with egg glaze and sprinkle with sugar. Cold on a wire rack before serving slightly hot or possibly at room temperature.
- This recipe yields 8 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 63g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 162||65%|
|Total Fat 18.31g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 10.54g||42%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 18.51g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||2%|