I made this for my book club for one of our members' birthdays. It made for an amazing presentation and the flavor and texture were pleasant. If you are just looking for amazing flavor, you can find better. But if you're looking for a beautful presentation that is fairly easy to achieve and is also tasty, then this is a great option.
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup champagne or cream sherry (i used champagne)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 10-12 drops red food coloring
- 8 egg whites
- 9 Tbsp champagne or cream sherry
- Champagne Buttercream Frosting
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 Tbsp champagne or cream sherry
- 4 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 3-6 drops red food coloring
- 8 oz Fresh Rasberries (optional)
- Grease and lightly flour one 9x1 1/2 inch roiund baking pan and one 13x8x2 inch baking pan and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a very large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, and 1/4 tsp salt. Add milk, shortening, 1/2 cup champagne, vanilla, and if desired, red food coloring. Beat on low to med speed for about 30 seconds or just till combined, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add unbeaten egg whites and beat 2 minutes. (Batter may appear slightly curdled...it's OK).
- Spread 2 3/4 cups of batter in the 9x1 1/2 inch round pan. Put remaining batter in the 13x9x2 pan. Bake in preheated oven 30-35 minutes for the round cake and 40-45 minutes for the rectangular cake. Cook cakes in pans on racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.
- Make frosting while the cake is cooling. In a bowl, beat 3/4 shortening and 3/4 cup butter or margarine till combined. Beat in champagne and sifted powdered sugar. Add food coloring drops. Beat in extra champagne as needed to make a frosting of nice spreading consisteny. Makes about 3 3/4 cups.
- Using cardboard circle patterns 4 inches and 6 inches in diameter, cut out one 4 inch and one 6 inch cake from the 13x9x2 inch cake. Drizzle 3 Tbsp of champagne over the top of each round cake layer for extra champagne flavor.
- Place the 9 inch cake layer on a serving plate and frost sides and top. Lining up the backs of the layers, place the 6 inch cake on top of the 9 inch cake and frost sides and top. Repeat with the 4 inch cake on top of the 6 inch. Tint any remaining frosting a deeper pink to decorate with tinted frosting and flowers if desired.
- Place fresh rasperries on top of 4 inch cake if desired.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 116g|
|Recipe makes 24 servings|
|Calories from Fat 190||42%|
|Total Fat 21.48g||27%|
|Saturated Fat 7.47g||30%|
|Trans Fat 5.0g|
|Total Carbs 60.69g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2%|