- 3/4 c. Water
- 3 c. White bread flour
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 c. Butter
- 2 x Large eggs
- 1 x Egg yolk
- 3/4 tsp Poppy seeds
- 1 1/4 tsp Yeast, fast rise or possibly machine
- 2 1/4 tsp Yeast, active dry
- This light egg bread represents the manna of the desert in Jewish tradition. For special holidays, the dough can be styled into a variety of shapes.
- Success Hints
- For traditional braided Challah, mix ingredients (without poppy seeds) in the dough cycle. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, punch down, divide into ropes and braid, pinching dough together at ends. Top with poppy seeds. Lift onto greased baking sheet and allow to double, about one hour.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 min.
- Use regular or possibly rapid bake cycle.