Most recipes—if not all—for roasted red peppers tell us to “roast/toast them” on a gas stove over a flame, then place the peppers in a in a brown bag to cool down.
Mine are not done that way. I have a different approach. And, after more than 15 years of my method—more like 25 years—and after receiving accolades from a grandmother Italian woman who was born and raised in Italy, and who loved my method of making roasted peppers, I can’t complain. It’s easy, simple and easy. Did I say easy?
- 1 # of red peppers
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 2 Tbs parsley
- 2 Tbs basil
- Sprig of Rosemary
- 2 Tbs oregano (fresh)
- First, saturate the red peppers in the best quality of extra virgin olive oil on this planet. I use my hands as a âbrushâ. Then, place the peppers on a pan. Insert pan with the peppers in a 350 degrees oven. Every 20 minutes, turn them overâ¦until about an hour has elapsed, and the peppers look charred and done (no gas stove flames in this scenario). Turn oven off and let peppers sit and cool downâ¦ no brown bags hereâ¦well, the only bags are under my eyesâ¦anywayâ¦..Let the peppers settle and cool down. Eventually, remove from oven and let cool further. When really cool enough to handle, remove skins and seeds. Shred peppers into strips, or keep chunkyâ¦.whatever is your preference. Now, the fun starts. Add herbs to incorporate flavor and to experience the best-tasting peppers of a lifetime. Well, yeahâ¦they areâ¦..
- First, garlic, mincedâ¦ a lot (or a little)â¦.
- Then, freshly minced parsley, basil, rosemary, oregano
- And, olive oil, of courseâ¦about Â½ cup.
- Thatâs it. Let peppers and all of that love marinate for at least a day or night, and then enjoy.
- The recipes are endless as to what can be created using the roasted peppers: Sandwiches, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, or breakfast, lunch dinner or snacks. (Not a typo, by the way).
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 180g|
|Calories from Fat 967||93%|
|Total Fat 109.41g||137%|
|Saturated Fat 15.36g||61%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 17.71g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.4g||18%|