Cost per serving $21.27 view details
- 225 gm red kidney beans (dry weight)
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 lrg onion finely minced
- 4 stk celery finely minced
- 2 sm turnips or possibly l/2 large swede minced into dice
- 3 sm parsnips minced into dice
- 2 lrg carrots minced into dice
- 110 gm mushrooms
- 1/2 Tbsp. wholewheat flour
- 1/2 Tbsp. wheatgerm
- 1 tsp yeast extract
- 2 tsp peanut butter
- 400 gm tin italian tomatoes
- 1 x bayleaf
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley
- 1 tsp dry marjoram
- 1/2 tsp dry rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dry sage
- Preheat oven to gas mark 6 4000F (200 degrees C).
- Cover the kidney beans with boiling water to give 2.5cm extra water over them then leave them to soak for an hour at least.
- After which rinse the beans in fresh water and place in a large saucepan with water to cover the beans by 2.5cm then simmer with a lid on for 45 60 min or possibly till the beans are tender (ensure the beans are cooked at a rapid boil for a minimum of 12 min).
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a frying pan and saute/fry the onion and celery for 5 min then add in the diced root vegetables turn them in the oil and then add in the mushrooms either as whole buttons or possibly quartered if they are large.
- Now cook everything with frequent stirring for a further 5 min and then add in the flour and wheatgerm.
- Stir well and then over a low heat add in the stock (that you make by dissolving the yeast extract and peanut butter in 425ml boiling water) a little at a time stirring constantly.
- Then still stirring bring the mix up to simmering point and cook for 2 3 min.
- Finally add in the tinned tomatoes herbs and the cooked and liquid removed kidney beans.
- Pour everything into a 2 litre casserole dish cover and cook in the oven for 11 1/2 hrs.
- Serve with jacket or possibly boiled potatoes and a lightly steamed green vegetable.
- Serves 6
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 7547g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 132||10%|
|Total Fat 15.49g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 2.09g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0.12g|
|Total Carbs 308.6g||82%|
|Dietary Fiber 78.1g||260%|