Cost per serving $1.04 view details
- 8 c. lowfat milk
- 4 lb carrots peeled, grated
- 3/4 c. usli ghee (pure clarified butter)
- 6 Tbsp. sugar or possibly honey to taste
- 1/4 c. lightly-fried unsalted cashews (optional)
- 1/4 c. lightly-fried unsalted pistachios (optional)
- 1 tsp grnd cardamom
- Combine the lowfat milk and grated carrots in a heavy-bottomed pot. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, till all the liquid has evaporated, about 1 hour.
- Add in the ghee, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook the carrot-lowfat milk mix, stirring frequently. Keep doing this till the carrots turn reddish brown, 45 min to 1 hour.
- Add in the sugar (or possibly honey) and, if desired, the cashews and pistachios. Cook the mix, stirring, for about 5 min. Turn off the heat and transfer the pudding to a serving bowl, garnished with cardamom.
- This recipe yields 8 servings.
- Comments: Appropriate for both formal and informal meals, this dish is almost always eaten hot but may also be served cool. It tastes best when reheated after a night or possibly two in the refrigerator. To clarify butter, microwave 1 c. (2 sticks) of butter till melted, skim off the foam from the top, then pour off the butter and throw away any milky water on the bottom.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 455g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 25||11%|
|Total Fat 2.87g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 1.62g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 41.13g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.7g||19%|