Very subtle Indian influence but otherwise a simple celebration of the carrot. Ginger provides the heat and keeps them guessing.
The recipe calls for a vegetable juicer, but if you don't have one: Halve the carrots, and use 3-4 cups of carrot juice to substitute for the juiced ones. Ginger juice is harder but you can get enough by microplaning a large piece of ginger and then squeezing the gratings.
- carrots, 5 lb.
- butter, 1 stick (8 Tbsp)
- onion (yellow), 2
- sugar, 1 tsp.
- kosher salt, 1 tsp
- garlic, 2 cloves
- curry powder, Â½ tsp
- vegetable (or chicken) stock), 4 cups
- bay leaf, 2
- ginger, 4â piece
- crÃ¨me fraiche, Â½ cup (could substitute whipped sour cream or heavy cream)
- toasted sesame oil
- Peel the carrots. Juice half of them with a vegetable juicer, set aside the juice, and discard the solids. Slice the rest into <Â¼â discs. Juice the ginger as well, and set aside the juice.
- Peel and thinly slice the onions. Cook over low heat with the butter, Â½ tsp sugar, and Â½ tsp salt for 30-60 minutes. Stir occasionally. You want to caramelize the onions lightly but not burn them at all.
- Add the garlic cloves (smashed or halved), the sliced carrots, the curry powder, and the remaining salt and sugar. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Move on if the onions start to get too dark.
- Add the carrot juice, stock (and if necessary, water) to completely cover the vegetables. Add 1 Tbsp. ginger juice and bay leaves. Increase to a boil and cut back to a simmer. Cook for 60 minutes.
- Let the soup cool (I go overnight).
- Fish out the bay leaves and purÃ©e the soup, either in batches in a food processor or with a hand blender.
- Before serving, heat the soup. Hand-blend again if necessary until itâs completely smooth. Adjust the seasoning with salt and rice vinegar. Take the soup off the heat and whisk in the crÃ¨me fraiche.
- Plate the soup and lay Â¼-Â½ tsp sesame oil on top of each serving.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 376g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 142||49%|
|Total Fat 16.25g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 9.89g||40%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 35.37g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 9.9g||33%|