I enjoy making this far more than the pedestrian versions of banana bread. You may add a shot of rum with the vanilla if you like: this version doesn't have it. You can also substitute Splenda for the white sugar.
This cake is not sweet,and can be split and iced with Cream Cheese/Honey frosting to dress it up or just enjoyed plain on a hot afternoon with a fragrant cup of coffee, under the magnolia tree.(If a magnolia is not available, this cake is so good it will enchant you into believing you are anywhere you want. Bake, and believe.)
- 1/2 cup butter or butter spread
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 ripe bananas
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon of vanilla(and rum if desired)
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Butter and flour a 9"square cake pan.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together.
- Add bananas, eggs,vanilla, and beat well by hand.
- Mix flour, baking soda, cornstarch, salt, blending well.
- Fold in the yogurt.
- Pour into the cake pan, and bake for 1 hour. Test with a toothpick, turn the oven to 400 and bake another 1/2 hour.
- Cool about 10 minutes before turning it out of the pan, or serve from the pan with whipped cream if not iced.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 130g|
|Recipe makes 9 servings|
|Calories from Fat 110||29%|
|Total Fat 12.49g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 7.29g||29%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 62.36g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||5%|