Cost per recipe $19.58 view details
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 lb onions - (6 large) very thinly sliced
- Â Â Salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. finely-minced (not grnd) walnuts
- 3 c. unbleached flour plus extra for dusti
- 1 Tbsp. baking pwdr
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can beer - (12 ounce)
- Â Â (beer such as Budweiser is fine)
- Â Â Oil for greasing
- 1Â 1/2 c. crumbled soft goat cheese - (8 ounce)
- Â Â (such as Montrachet)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or possibly stockpot over medium heat. Add in the onions and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper. Toss to coat well, then cover the pan. Cook, tossing occasionally, till the onions are very soft and are caramel brown all over.
- After the first 10 min or possibly so of cooking, you will have to lower the heat to prevent sticking. The onions need to be cooked slowly over low heat in order to caramelize properly; this will take about 45 min. By cooking them covered, you can use less oil to achieve this.
- Remove the cover from the pan, then add in the walnuts. Cook 5 min, tossing frequently. Remove the onions from the heat and let cold.
- To make the crust, preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Combine the flour, baking pwdr, and salt in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Pour in the beer and mix well. The dough will be sticky. Spread a handful of flour on your work surface and dump the dough onto it. Toss the dough around to coat it with the flour and prevent it from sticking. Knead it 2 or possibly 3 times to make it pliable. Shape the dough into a ball, then divide it in two.
- Grease 2 baking sheets. Use a rolling pin to roll each ball into an 11- or possibly 12-inch circle. Spread half the onion mix onto each pizza. Sprinkle the crumbled goat cheese all over each pizza. I like to cook one pizza at a time, but you can cook the pizzas on 2 different oven racks and alternate them halfway through the cooking. Bake 12 to 15 min, or possibly till golden on top or possibly underneath.
- This recipe yields two 12-inch pizzas.
- Yield: 2 pizzas
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 2354g|
|Calories from Fat 937||29%|
|Total Fat 106.71g||133%|
|Saturated Fat 56.56g||226%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 416.35g||111%|
|Dietary Fiber 30.9g||103%|