After slowly caramelizing for almost two hours, sweet onions mixed with fresh thyme are the topping for an incredibly simple homemade bread dough. When still warm from the oven, goat cheese is crumbled over the top of the flatbread to melt slightly, and is then hidden beneath a thinly sliced layer of prosciutto. The irresistible finishing touch is a fruity drizzle of balsamic reduction.
- Dough (from the Tapas Cookbook, by Love Food):
- 2 2/3 cups white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Â½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for oiling
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 1 cup warm water
- Â¼ cup olive oil
- 3 large yellow or sweet onions
- Thyme leaves stripped from 3-5 sprigs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Goat cheese, crumbled for sprinkling
- 3 oz thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into squares
- Â½ balsamic vinegar, simmered to Â¼ cup reduction
- In a large sauce pot, heat up Â¼ cup olive oil and add onions. Over medium-low heat, cook for 1 hr 15 minutes-1 hr 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are caramelized and golden. When the onions are just about done, mix in thyme leaves and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. To make the bread dough, stir the flour, yeast, salt, and sugar together in a bowl, making a well in the center. Add the olive oil and wine to the water; the pour Â¼ cup of the liquid into the well. Gradually mix in the flour from the sides, adding remaining liquid if necessary, until a soft dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Shape the dough into a ball. Wash the bowl and rub the inside with olive oil. Return dough to the bowl and roll it around until lightly coated in oil. Cover tightly with plastic and let stand in a warm place until the dough doubles in size.
- Heavily flour a half sheet pan. Roll the dough out and transfer it to the sheet pan, rolling the edges to form a thin rim. Prick the base all over with a fork. Spread the topping evenly over the dough. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the rim is golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. While the dough is still warm, add goat cheese crumbles; layer prosciutto slices over the goat cheese. Drizzle balsamic reduction on top of bread. Slice and serve.
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 783g|
|Calories from Fat 688||33%|
|Total Fat 78.19g||98%|
|Saturated Fat 11.45g||46%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 281.01g||75%|
|Dietary Fiber 16.2g||54%|