Cost per serving $0.64 view details
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 tsp corn syrup
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/2 c. whipping cream Pastry Cream
- 2 c. lowfat milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 x egg yolk
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 4 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 dsh salt
- 2 Tbsp. butter Puff Pastry
- 1 pkt frzn puff pastry
- 1 x egg, mixed with 2 tbsp cool water, for brushing icing sugar, for dusting Butterscotch Sauce
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp. corn syrup
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a covered pot over high heat, bring 1 c. sugar, corn syrup and 1/4 c. water to a boil. Remove lid and let sugar boil, brushing sides of the pot with water intermittently, till sugar turns an amber colour, about 10 min. Remove pot from heat and whisk in whipping cream, watching out for steam which rises when cream is added. Set caramel aside.
- Pastry Cream:In pot over medium heat, bring lowfat milk and vanilla extract to a simmer.
- In a bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisking egg mix constantly, gradually add in lowfat milk, one ladle at a time to the egg mix till all the lowfat milk has been added.
- Pour mix back in pot and return to medium heat. Whisking vigorously, bring mix up to a simmer. Due to the cornstarch, pastry cream will thicken quickly, about 8 min. Remove from heat and, while whisking, add in butter (this will help halt the cooking process).
- Pour pastry cream into a bowl and whisk in caramel. Cover surface of pastry cream with plastic wrap and cold completely, about 3 hrs. Pastry cream can be prepared up to 2 days in advance.
- Puff Pastry:Preheat oven to 375 F.On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry to 1/4 -inch thickness. Cut 18 discs 3 inches in diameter and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigeratediscs for 20 min. Before baking, dock pastry with a fork.
- Place a sheet of parchment on top of discs and place a second baking sheet on top of parchment, to weigh the discs down. If your baking sheets are rather light, place additional weights on the baking sheet (ie a few ramekins or possibly a glass baking dish).
- Bake for 20 min. Remove the top pan and sheet of parchment. Brush discs with egg wash and return to oven for anther 8-10 min, till golden in colour. Allow to cold.
- Butterscotch Sauce:Place all ingredients except vanilla in a pot and simmer over medium heat for 5 min, stirring occasionally till thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Refrigeratetill ready to serve.
- To Assemble:Place one disc on a plate (or possibly on a tray). Using a large star piping tip or possibly a large spoon, pipe or possibly dollop caramel pastry cream onto the disc. Place another disc on top and repeat process. Top third disc with a dot of pastry cream. Dust napoleons with icing sugar and serve with butterscotch sauce.
- Napoleons should be assembled immediately before serving.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 190g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 107||25%|
|Total Fat 12.12g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 6.29g||25%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 76.25g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.2g||1%|