This smooth custard pastry cream loves to be layered within a chocolate cake ;o)
Tip: If short on time...use your favourite (cooked) pudding mix (i.e.: butterscotch caramel, chocolate or other).
This recipe is featured in this dedicated post on the Christmas 'Yule' Log cake:
- . > (American / Metric measures) <
- . > yields about 1-1/2 cups (375ml)
- . 1 large egg
- . 1/8 cup (28g) granulated sugar
- . 2 tsp. (10 ml) instant coffee granules
- . 1/4 cup (32g) unbleached All-purpose flour
- . 1 cup (250ml) milk (low fat+)
- . 1/4 tsp. (1.75ml) pure Vanilla extract
- . 1/4 cup (60ml) Caramel spread
- . In a small-medium saucepan, hand whisk the egg, sugar, coffee granules, salt and flour all at once until a smooth paste has formed.
- . Add just a little quantity of milk and whisk to soften the thick paste. Afterwards, continually whisk in the remaining milk until all is combined. Note: this is one of the better ways to avoid getting curdles in the egg mix. It will assure a smooth, lump-free cream every time. It also avoids having to later strain it.
- . Over medium-high heat, start whisking the custard gently at first. Once a very low simmering boil appears, a quicker whisking motion should take place. As the mix starts rising slightly and lightly thickening, an evident ribbon trail will follow. This is the indication that the cream is ready.
- . Remove the pot from the heat. Add the vanilla and caramel. Whisk until combined. Let the cream rest for about 15 minutes more while giving it a stir every so often.
- . Transfer the cream to a medium bowl and cover it with a plastic wrap touching the surface. This will avoid a dry skin from forming. When the cream has cooled at room temperature, transfer it to the refrigerator for a few hours to set until cold and thickened. This cream keeps well for 2-3 days.
- . Happy whisking and Claudia's flavourful wishes...FOODESSA.com