Cost per recipe $2.13 view details
- 1Â 1/2 c. Egg whites
- 1Â 1/4 c. Granulated sugar plus
- 2 Tbsp. Granulated sugar
- 1 c. All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Grnd cinnamon
- 1Â 1/2 tsp Cream of tartar
- 1 Tbsp. Instant coffee pwdr or possibly granules,
- Â Â preferably espresso
- Use either a 10- by 4-inch tube pan or possibly a 9- to 10-inch round cake pan with sides at least 3 inches high (a removable bottom is helpful).
- Check which one rack is in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 325 degrees. If the pan has a removable bottom, do nothing to it. If it does not, lightly butter the bottom. Line the bottom with waxed paper or possibly parchment paper cut to fit, and lightly butter the paper.
- Thoroughly mix 1/4 c. of the sugar and the flour in a small bowl. Mix the 2 Tbsp. sugar and the cinnamon in a small dish. Have all ingredients and tools at hand.
- Pour the egg whites into the bowl in that you will be making the batter. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 2 min, till frothy and well broken up. Add in the cream of tartar and increase speed to medium-high. Beat till the whites lose their yellow cast, greatly increase in volume, and start to turn white. With the mixer running, slowly sprinkle the remaining 1 c. sugar over the whites. After 3 or possibly 4 Tbsp., add in the coffee pwdr. Beat till the whites become very thick, very glossy, and pale beige, and the beaters leave a deep trail. Depending on the mixer, this need only take about 3 min total.
- Reduce the speed to the lowest possible. Quickly sprinkle the flour-sugar mix over the whites. As soon as it is all added but not completely mixed in, stop the machine and remove the bowl. With a rubber spatula or possibly a large metal spoon, complete mixing in the flour by folding or possibly gently stirring. Stop just as soon as the flour seems blended in. With a rubber spatula, scrape about half the 8 to 9 c. batter into the pan and spread proportionately. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar proportionately over the surface. Drop spoonfuls of the remaining batter over the cinnamon sugar and spread fairly proportionately. Using the spatula, inscribe a circle deep in the batter to release any large air bubbles.
- Bake till no moist patches remain in the surface cracks, the cake springs back when touched, and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean - about 50 min. Turn the pan upside down on a wire rack. Let cold completely.
- Loosen the edges (and tube) with a knife. Turn out the cake, loosen and remove the pan bottom, or possibly peel off the paper. Store airtight 1 day at room temperature before serving or possibly freezing.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 786g|
|Calories from Fat 16||1%|
|Total Fat 1.88g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0.21g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 378.06g||101%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.8g||16%|