All kinds of edible flowers can be candied.
Here's an example using the very fragrant of Lilac.
All you need to do is: cut off some healthy fresh clusters. Rinse the blooms under a gentle flow of cool water. Pull away each flower carefully from its stem. Have them air dry by placing them on a paper towel or cloth.
- (American / Metric measures)
- 2 cups (30gr) flowers blossoms / petals (loosely piled)
- 1 cup (190gr) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- >>>for finishing flower coating
- 1 cup (190gr) superfine sugar [or Fruit (fructose) sugar]
- . In a small saucepan...combine both the sugar and water and place over medium heat. Stir the mixture constantly as it turns into a smooth syrup. Watch the consistency...you do not want it to harden! It's highly recommended to gage the syrup by having a candy thermometer reach 220 F / 104 C.
- . Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow it to cool down to room temperature.
- . Meanwhile, prepare a cookie sheet covered with a parchment or wax paper. Sprinkle the superfine sugar throughout the surface. Set aside.
- >>>Sugar those blooms<<<
- . With a pair of tweezers...pick up each Lilac flower by its very small stem and lightly dip into the cooled syrup. Gently shake off excess and immediately dip the Lilac onto the sugar waiting on the cookie sheet. Carefully ensure that the whole flower is coated. Then, on the same sheet...leave the flower face up and uncovered to dry completely.
- . Depending on the size of the flower...the whole drying process can take up to about 4 hours.
- . Once the bloom has crystallized...it will take on a sturdy property and be much easier to handle.
- . These sugared blooms can be stored in an airtight glass jar for up to a month in a cool dry spot.
- >>Garnish this lightly sweet, lemony, floral flavour to your favourite creation of choice.
- Flavourful wishes...www.FOODESSA.com
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 74g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 0||0%|
|Total Fat 0.01g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 12.32g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|