This soup would be one of the soups I would serve in Californio, my fantasy Southwestern restaurant. If you want it to be more spicy, add green Tabasco sauce to your taste.
- 3T olive oil
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
- zest of one lime
- 1 in piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 20 ripe tomatillos, peeled and halved
- 2 fresh green Anaheim chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 t kosher salt
- Â½ t ground black pepper
- 4 small corn tortillas
- shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 t dried Mexican oregano
- 2 T chopped fresh cilantro
- In a heavy saucepan, over medium heat, heat the oil until it shimmers. Add the onion and sautÃ©, stirring occasionally, until they are soft and translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the zest and the ginger and cook for 3 minutes until the flavors are incorporated.
- Add the tomatillo and chile and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the tomatillos completely break down and release a great deal of liquid, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool a little.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender, or with a stick blender. If necessary, pass each batch of soup through a medium-mesh sieve to remove the tomatillo peels and seeds. Combine all the batches in a sufficiently large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Chill in the refrigerator before serving.
- Arrange the corn tortillas on a baking sheet. Brush tortillas with olive oil. Distribute grated Monterey Jack or Mexican cheese and dried Mexican oregano over the tortillas and toast under the broiler until the cheese melts and starts to form brown spots. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Taste the chilled soup and add salt if necessary. Divide the soup equally among 4 serving bowls. Sprinkle chopped fresh cilantro over the surface of the soup. Cut the tortillas in half and set the two halves against the edge of the bowl partly dipping into the soup.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 208g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 70||42%|
|Total Fat 7.98g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 2.17g||9%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 21.12g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.9g||16%|