A delicious, pan-fried Indian bread stuffed with vegetables and lightly spiced
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Cost per serving $0.40 view details
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups chopped green cabbage
- 1/2 chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbs Vegetable oil
- Warm water for kneading (1/4-3/4 cup)
- 4 tbs Ghee (clarified butter) - for pan-frying
- Dough - In a large utensil for kneading dough or a parat put flour in a mound and make a dip in the middle. Add all the finely chopped vegetables and spices to the flour.
- Wash your hands thoroughly clean and mix up the flour. Now add oil to the flour. Add warm water to the flour 1/4 cup at a time, and no more than 3/4 cup for the time being.
- Knead the dough by mixing all the ingredients thoroughly and shape into a ball. The dough should be malleable - not too soft and not too firm.
- Note - You can also knead the dough in a food processor or the 'dough' setting on a bread machine. Just place all the ingredients as stated and remove as soon as a dough ball is formed. Do not allow it to enter the rise cycle if using a bread machine.
- In a separate plate spread 1/2 cup of flour. Pull at a piece of dough with your finger and knead into a ball 2 inches round. Roll the dough liberally into the flour and place on rolling base.
- Using a rolling pin, apply light pressure while rolling outwards from the center of the dough.
- Roll the paratha out to an even thickness of approx 1/8' approx 6-7 inches round.
- Heat your tavaa or non-stick griddle at low heat.
- On low heat gently place the paratha on the frying pan or tavaa. Count to 30 and flip over. Now increase to medium high heat.
- Now add 1/2 tsp ghee all around the perimeter of the paratha and onto its surface. Keep pressing down with a metal spatula on the surface of the paratha.
- Count to 30 and flip over. Brown spots should have appeared on the paratha surface. Cook till both sides are golden brown.
- Serve hot with a bowl of plain yogurt or a hot cup of 'chai'
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 168g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 189||39%|
|Total Fat 21.3g||27%|
|Saturated Fat 8.75g||35%|
|Trans Fat 0.18g|
|Total Carbs 68.12g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 12.1g||40%|