A satisfying, easy-to-prepare autumn soup, perfect for cooler weather!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Cost per serving $2.24 view details
- For the chutney:
- 1/4 cup sliced blanched almonds or pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 jalapeÃ±o chiles
- 2 cups loosely packed coriander (cilantro)
- For the soup:
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- one 3- to 3 1/2 -pound butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeds and strings discarded, and the flesh cut into 1/2 -inch cubes
- 6 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Two 4-inch strips of orange zest
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 8 coriander sprigs for garnish
- Make the chutney:
- In a blender or food processor blend the almonds, coconut, chile, a pinch of salt, and 1/3 cup water until the mixture is finely ground. Add the coriander and blend the mixture until it is finely ground. The chutney may be made 8 hours in advance and kept covered and chilled. Makes about 1 cup. (Note: This recipe makes what is known as a dry chutney, which as a slightly grainy texture).
- Make the soup:
- In a large pot cook the onion in the butter and oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until it is softened. Add the squash and 1/2 cup water, and cook the mixture, covered, over moderately low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the squash is tender. Add the broth, the zest, and the juice of the orange and simmer the mixture, uncovered, for 15 minutes. In a blender or food processor purÃ©e the mixture in batches and strain through a sieve into a large bowl. THe soup may be made 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled. Ladle the soup into 8 bowls and garnish each serving with about a tablespoon of the chutney, to be stirred into the soup, and a coriander sprig.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 446g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 112||44%|
|Total Fat 13.01g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 2.95g||12%|
|Trans Fat 0.09g|
|Total Carbs 37.55g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 13.5g||45%|