Butternut Squash Risotto Recipe
Thanks to the Simply Recipies blog...wonderful!
I loved this dish. I could sit down and eat cups and cups and cups of this dish. It was a wonderful side, and an easy main for a vegetarian. Thanks to Simply Recipies blog...wonderful!
I used extra butternut squash and it worked really well, I also found that I did not need to add extra cheese at the table.
Servings: 4-6 big servings
- 6-8 cups chicken broth (use vegetable broth for vegetarian option)
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided into 4 Tbsp and 1 Tbsp
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled, and finely diced
- 2 cups arborio rice (can substitute medium grained white rice, but arborio is preferred)
- 1 cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives or garlic chives
Heat broth in a med pot and keep warm over low heat. Melt 4 Tbsp of butter in a large saucepan; add onion and butternut squash. Cook over medium heat until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add rice to onion and squash. Cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add wine. Cook, stirring constantly until wine has been absorbed by the rice or evaporated. Add a few ladles of broth, just enough to barely cover rice. Cook, stirring continupusly, over medium heat until broth has been absorbed. Continue cooking and stirring rice, adding a ladle or so of broth at a time, cook and stir until all of the broth is absorbed, and until the rice is tender, but still firm to the bite, about 15 to 20 minutes.
3 During the last minutes of cooking, add remaining tablespoon of butter, 1/3 cup Parmesan, and chives. At this point the rice should have a creamy consistency. Add salt to taste. Serve with remaining grated Parmesan.
How good does this recipe look to you?