Some of my all-time favorite recipes are based on cooking meat in wine, beer or stout – coq au vin, beef in Guinness, boeuf bourguinon, pork in cider…the list goes on.
And now I have a new one to add to the list. We tried this for dinner last week and it was a big hit, packed with flavor and color. You could use any cut of chicken but chicken thighs really add to the flavor, not to mention reducing the cost. Add in chillies, white wine, garlic and the squash and it’s hard for it not to be a winner.
- Serves 4-6
- 2lbs (907g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 oz (85g) flour
- 4 tablespoons canola or other mild oil
- 6 floz (170ml) dry white wine
- 2 chilli peppers, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 fl oz (284ml) chicken stock
- 4-5 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 standard sized butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch (2 1/2 cm) pieces
- salt and pepper
- Season the flour with a little salt and pepper and toss the chicken pieces in it, either in a ziplock bag or on a plate. Saute the chicken in half the oil, in batches if necessary, until lightly browned which will take about 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a deep oven-proof casserole/baking dish.
- Add the rest of the oil to the pan and saute the onion, garlic and chillies for several minutes until soft and starting to brown.
- Add the wine and simmer for about a further 5-10 minutes until the liquid has reduced by half. Pour over the chicken.
- Add the stock, butternut squash, thyme and bay leaves to the dish, cover with a lid or foil and place in a 350 degree F (180 degree C) oven for 2 hours, checking and stirring at least halfway through the cooking time.
- Serve with mashed potato, rice or couscous.
- Tip: To prepare the squash, cut it in half lengthwise, then peel it with a potato peeler. Then, with cut side down on a board, slice it across and then into 1 inch pieces, removing the seeds as you go
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 164g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 126||48%|
|Total Fat 14.2g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 2.05g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0.13g|
|Total Carbs 13.12g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||5%|