These biscuits are amazing! I make them all the time. They're good for everything. Add a little sugar and they make amazing shortcakes. They can be savvory or sweet. The cheese can be easily omitted for plain biscuits or replaced with another kind of cheese; herbs can be added. Add fruit. The possibilities are endless.
Original Source: Barefoot Contessa
- 1 3/4 c + 1/4 c Flour
- 1 Tb Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 12 Tb Butter, cold
- 1/2 c Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- 1 c Sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix 1 3/4 c flour with, baking powder and salt.
- Cut butter into cubes, and cut into dry ingredients until the size of peas.
- Whisk together buttermilk and egg.
- Add buttermilk mix to flour and butter and mix until not quite combined.
- Stir the remaining 1/4 c of flour into the cheese and mix into the dough until just combined.
- Pat or roll the dough into a circle approximately 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut into desired shape and place on a parchment sheet lined baking sheet.
- If needed, chill the biscuits until they are cold again. About 30 minutes.
- Bake about 20 minutes until the biscuits are fluffy and golden brown. If your oven runs hot, check them earlier.