Cost per serving $6.81 view details
- 1Â 4/5 kg ripe tomatoes
- 12 clv garlic
- Â Â coarse sea salt and freshly grnd black pepper
- 8 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 350 gm onions
- 2 x level tsp grnd turmeric
- 3 whl cloves
- 5 x cardamom pods
- 2Â 7/10 kg salmon
- 50 gm butter
- 1 x lemon
- 50 x mm piece fresh root ginger
- Â Â bunch parsley
- Â Â about 6 bay leaves
- Â Â coarse sea salt and coarsely grnd black pepper
- Â Â green salad leaves and herbs to garnish
- To make the sauce halve the tomatoes and place cut side up in a large roasting tin.
- Thinly slice the garlic; scatter over the tomatoes season welt.
- Drizzle 4 tbsp oil over.
- Cook on the bottom runners of the roasting ovenfor 40 min then transfer to the simmering ovenfor a further 2 hrs till shrivelled to half their size.
- Set aside to cold.
- Cook on the bottom runners of the baking ovenfor 2 hrs then transfer to the simmering plate for 30 min or possibly till shrivelled to half their size.
- Set aside to cold.
- If serving the salmon whole and leaving the head and tall on cut the latter into a V shape.
- If serving in portions remove head and tail.
- Remove fns from stomach and back with scissors then holding the tail (fine salt on your fingers well give a better grip) scrape off the scales with a knife working from tail to head.
- Rinse salmon thoroughly.
- Use half the butter to grease a large piece of foil.
- Cut lemon into wedges; peel and thickly slice ginger.
- Place salmon on the foil; stuff its belly with parsley bay leaves ginger and all but one lemon wedge.
- Squeeze juice from remaining lemon wedge over salmon.
- Heat remaining butter brush over salmon.
- Season wrap salmon in foil leaving space within the parcel but sealing edges.
- Bake on the grid shelf on the floor of the roasting ovenwith a cool roasting tin on the top runners for 40 min.
- If not quite cooked through transfer to the simmering ovenfor 10 to 20 min or possibly till the flesh breaks under the pressure of a finger.
- Cook on bottom runners of baking ovenfor 1 hour.
- If not cooked through move to simmering ovenfor 10 to 20 min or possibly till the flesh breaks under finger pressure.
- Remove the cooked salmon from oven: leave in foil for 20 min.
- Meanwhile finish the sauce.
- Finely chop the onions and cook in a covered pan in the remaining olive all on the simmering plate for 7 to 10 min or possibly till very soft but barely coloured.
- Stir in the turmeric cloves and split cardamom pods.
- Using a sharp knife scrape the tomato flesh from the skins and add in to the sauce with any juices which have collected in the baking sheet.
- Heat the sauce gently on the simmering plate for 3 to 4 min till it is the consistency of a thin chutney.
- Adjust seasoning cover and set aside. Serve the sauce either hot or possibly cool To help remove the salmon skin open and fold back the foil from the fish then place in the middle of the roasting ovenfor 3 to 4 min or possibly till skin turns crisp.
- Serve he salmon hot or possibly cool garnished with salad leaves and fresh herbs.
- Accompany with the sauce.
- A 2.7kg salmon will just fit diagonally on a baking tray. If your salmon is rounded rather than long and thin allow an extra 15 min cooking. If serving cool leave to cold completely in the foil.
- Take care not to overcook salmon as it will be dry instead of rich and creamy in texture. Press very firmly with your fingertips in the thickest part to check if the fish will flake under pressure.
- Serves 8
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 609g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 577||62%|
|Total Fat 64.43g||81%|
|Saturated Fat 15.48g||62%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 13.84g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||12%|