This month we are trying out our favorite “international” recipes. The Husband and I love Mexican food. I used to make a variation of this recipe all the time when we were first married. I used refried beans then and we now prefer black beans and just like my enchilada casserole recipe (check it out if you want a great enchilada recipe) I used chicken in this one too. This is a pretty versatile recipe and you can really use whatever ingredients your family likes. We love a little “spicy hot” in our Mexican. This can be achieved by either using our favorite Texas Pete hot sauce or just adding a few red pepper flakes. Either way makes it just the right amount of spicy.
- 2 cups black beans (if you use canned, be sure to drain them)
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 1/2 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheese (whatever your favorite is)
- 3 flour tortillas (taco sized)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Saute green peppers and onion until just tender and they have gotten a little browned. Remove from heat. Combine beans, chicken, sauted green peppers/onions, red pepper flakes, chili powder, garlic powder and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese in a bowl. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- In a hot nonstick skillet lightly crisp the tortillas on each side. This will keep the pie âcrustâ remaining firm when you add the filling and bake. Spray a pie plate with cooking spray and place one of the tortillas in the bottom. Divide the bean/chicken mixture evenly and place half of it on the first tortilla. Place second tortilla on top of this mixture and top with the other half of the bean/chicken mixture. Place last tortilla on the top. Take the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and evenly spread it over the tortilla. Bake in 350 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes. Top with your favorite salsa or sour cream. Serves 6.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 105g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 81||25%|
|Total Fat 9.21g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 4.8g||19%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 41.23g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.0g||33%|