Buri Daikon is typical Japanese home-cooked meal! The recipe vary from home to home, so here I will write mine ;)
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1.5 hours
Servings: 3 servings
Cost per serving $0.13 view details
- 3 buri (Japanese amberjack or yellowtail) fillets
- 7 daikon radish cut into 2cm (0.7inch) thick round slices
- 4 slices of shoga (ginger root)
- kome no togijiru (is a cloudy rice water that you get when you wash rice)
- 300cc dashi broth (using packaged dashi powder saves time)
- 100cc sake
- 50cc mirin (sweet sake)
- 50cc soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 100cc sake
- 2 tbsp. mirin (sweet sake)
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. mirin (sweet sake)
- thin strips of shoga (ginger root)
- mitsuba (trefoil) leaves cut into 3-cm (1-inch-) -long pieces
- 1. Cut buri into large bite-sized pieces, sprinkle salt on both sides and leave them for about 30 minutes.
- 2. Pour boiling water over the buri. Then wash off any remaining blood or dirt with running water. This process cleans away odors! When you use "buri no ara" (head and leftover pieces), I recommend you to wash them more neatly.
- 3. Use a peeler. Peel thick round slices of daikon radish and do mentori (plane off the corners) to prevent it from crumbling during long cooking.
- 4. Boil daikon radish with kome no togijiru (or water with a tablespoon of rice) for 15 minutes. Remove excess water with paper towel. This is called shitayude, to boil ingredients to certain firmness before cooking together with other ingredients.
- 5. Place A and slices of shoga (ginger root) in a pot. Bring to the boil, then add buri and cook for about 15 minutes. When you use "buri no ara", you cook 15 minutes before fillets, total of 30 minutes.
- 6. Add B and simmer for about 5 minutes until they blend.
- 7. Add daikon radish, cook on low heat for about 30 minutes till light brown.
- 8. Taste daikon radish, if it's cooked all the way and absorbed the flavour of the buri and seasonings, boil over high heat for a few seconds.
- 9. Serve with thin strips of shoga and mitsuba pieces on top.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 23g|
|Recipe makes 3 servings|
|Calories from Fat 0||0%|
|Total Fat 0.0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 13.41g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0%|